Metallic lips are the hottest trend right now and last year Yardley London introduced 4 lustrous metallic liquid matte lip vinyl’s which are bold, vibrant and create a multidimensional lip finish. Yardley merged the staying power of a matte lipstick with the high wattage shine of a metallic by combining the Stayfast Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl benefits which are high impact colour, 24 hour wear and an ultra-matte finish with a glittery, jewel like finish.
If you follow me on Instagram you know by now that I never shy away from bold lips, I always sport bold, bright colours and different effect lipsticks and lip glosses as they are one of my favourite beauty products that can instantly change up and complete any look. I received the entire Yardley Stayfast Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl range which is made up of 10 beautiful shades including their 4 new metallic shades. I wanted to try out every single shade for different occasions and see how each shade wears after many uses so that I could give you my honest opinion on each metallic and original liquid matte lipstick.
Yardley Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl formula provides vivid, high definition colour with an ultra-matte finish, it also contains moisture protecting Vitamin E so that the lips do not become dry. A lot of matte lip products are very drying on the lips so I love that Yardley added an ingredient which helps keeps the lips moisturised.
All ten liquid matte lipsticks come in thin long 8ml tubes that are see through so you can see the colour of the lipstick. The colour that you see in the tube is the colour that you get on your lips. Each tube has silver text which rubs off after a while. The greyish black twist caps safely secures the product so there is no leakage. On the top of each cap there a sticker with the name of each shade.
The lipsticks have a basic small doe foot applicator which allows for easy and precise application. The applicators work well at transferring a good amount of product on the lips evenly and smoothly without rubbing off an existing layer of product.
Yardley Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl Metallic
The four metallic additions to the the Yardley Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl range are:
- Coppering: this is a stunning copper colour that looks almost gold and bronze depending on the light. It has a gorgeous gold and/or silver shimmer depending from which angle you look at it, the shimmer creates its metallic effect. The shimmer doesn’t move around throughout the day that can result in a shiny glittery face.
- Chrome Pink: this is a pretty light pink with silver shimmer. One coat applies on a little streaky but two coats create full and even coverage. The shimmer moves around throughout the day making the area around the lips glittery.
- Queen B: I like to think that this shade is named after me 😊. This is a beautiful dark pink colour with red undertones and contains pink and silver shimmer. It is highly pigmented and one coat offers full and even coverage.
- Reign: this is a gorgeous deep plum colour and perfect for a vampy look. It has silver shimmer. This colour is so bold and vibrant and should be worn with confidence.
All four shades are true metallic, I have always struggled to find a good metallic lipstick before these as most “metallic” products out there are often more glittery than metallic. These metallic colours will really pop on dark skin toned babes 😍 but all four of the metallic shades are universal and will look great on all skin tones.
Each shade applies on smoothly and evenly on my lips without looking streaky and patchy they are also lightweight so they feel comfortable without any stickiness, they are not drying on the lips, they don’t crack throughout the day as some liquid matte lipsticks do and lastly they don’t feel grainy. All four shades are highly pigmented and only one or two coats are needed for full and even coverage. The metallic shades don’t completely dry down so they don’t last for 24 hours they also tend to fade and smudge a bit after a few hours so they need to be reapplied throughout the day.
Metallic lips are bold and fun and really create a statement so when using a metallic lipstick I suggest that you keep the rest of your makeup as simple as possible, go easy on the highlighter as metallic lipsticks highlight the lips and draw attention to the face especially lips. If you are not ready to fully commit to a chromed-out pout then wear your favourite shade of Stayfast Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl and just add your favourite metallic shade to the centre of your lips (top and bottom) this will create a super pouty look. If you are more adventurous you can create a fully metallic ombré lip and you can also use it as an eyeshadow but when used as an eyeshadow opt for a natural lip colour.
Yardley Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl Original
Yardley Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl comes in six stunning shades, a shade for every occasion. All six colours will look great on any skin tone. The six standard Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl shades are:
- Rambling Rose: this is a beautiful dusty pink colour. It’s the perfect everyday colour, one coat offers full and even coverage and it stays put for hours even after eating and drinking, you only need to slightly top up the centre of the lips. This colour is very pigmented, feels comfortable and light on and is one of my favourite shades.
- Miss Mauve: this is a mauve pink also one of my favourite colours. One coat offers full and even coverage, feels comfortable on my lips and stays put throughout the day. This is the perfect everyday colour and is a very neutral pink so it will work well as a pink nude on darker skin tones.
- Killer Pink: I’m crazy about this colour! This is a stunning bold bright pink with a blue undertone. Two coats are needed for full and even coverage as one coat looks a bit streaky. Wait until the first coat is completely dry before applying on another coat and also don’t press the lips together until each coat is fully dried as it tends to become patchy and uneven. ‘Killer Pink’ becomes very sticky, cracks, flakes and feels uncomfortable after wearing it for too long or after eating or drinking and needs to be completely wiped off if you want to reapply it otherwise it starts feeling too thick and becomes grainy on the lips and very drying. This is not an everyday colour as it’s very bright and bold and should be worn on special occasions for a short period of time. The formula is not very comfortable with this shade.
- Electric Tangerine: this is another bright and bold colour which I love. This is a bright orange, this shade and ‘Killer Pink’ are the two brightest colours in the range. The formula is also the same as ‘Killer Pink’ but is more streaky and needs about 3 coats for full and even coverage, it also feels uncomfortable on the lips and it creates a weird outline if worn too long (becomes darker on the outer part of the lips and light in the centre). This is not an everyday colour and shouldn’t be used for too long. I think Yardley needs to work on the formula of the brighter shades as they differ to the rest of the range but the colours still look stunning.
- Engine Red: this is a beautiful vibrant red, a universal red that suits all skin tones. This is definitely a statement colour and demands attention. I’ve reviewed this shade before which you can read about here. The first time I reviewed this colour I was unhappy with the formula as it was the same as ‘Killer Pink’ and ‘Electric Tangerine’ maybe it was just a bad batch because the formula of this one is comfortable, not streaky, doesn’t feel sticky and offers full and even coverage with one coat.
- Femme Fatale: I love this colour it’s a very stunning deep plum colour and perfect for autumn/winter. This shade is highly pigmented so only one coat is needed for full and even coverage. It feels comfortable on the lips it’s not sticky, not streaky and it is long-lasting. This colour is perfect for a vampy look and looks great for a night out as it’s a deep and bold colour.
To be honest I’m in love with all 6 shades, the range offers a variety of colour for every season, every mood and every occasion ranging from neutrals to bolds. The range has very wearable all year round colours and each colour will look great on any skin tone. Although the formula of each colour differs to the next each shade is highly pigmented and has amazing staying power. The lip vinyl’s take a while to dry down completely matte but once dry they are true matte it doesnt rub, smudge or transfer and it’s also kiss proof and doesn’t have a weird unpleasant scent. They tend to stain the lips and can be difficult to remove so I suggest using an oil based makeup remover or micellar water, what works even better is coconut oil to completely remove the lip products. Rub a small amount of coconut oil on the lips and wipe with a cotton pad or rinse with warm water. The metallic shades are a lot easier to remove but the shimmer gets everywhere.
If you have dry and cracked lips I suggest that you first exfoliate your lips and apply on some lip balm before applying on the Yardley Stayfast Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl’s. Exfoliating yours lips will create a smooth even surface so the liquid matte lipsticks glide on and won’t seep into the cracks and highlight the dry and flaky areas and the lip balm allows for smooth and even application while keeping you lips hydrated.
If you would like to wear the original shades with the metallic shades below is a list of colour pairings that look great together and compliment each other well:
- Coppering works well with Electric Tangerine and looks like an African sunrise.
- Chrome Pink looks gorgeous with Rambling Rose, Miss Mauve and Killer Pink (I love it more with Killer Pink).
- Queen B is stunning with Miss Mauve and looks like a beautiful sunset with Red Engine as they have similar tones.
- Reign matches perfectly with Femme Fatale.
You can use these pairing suggestions to create an ombré look, or to create the illusion of bigger and fuller lips (apply metallic shade to the center of the lips and blend outwards) and lastly you can use the metallic shades as lip toppers over the suggested original shades. Make-up is all about having fun and experimenting so play around and see what works for you that’s the great thing about this range.
Let me know which shades paired together and/or look (ombré, fuller lips or lip topper) you would like to see and I will post that on my Instagram page.
Which colours will you be getting your hands on?
Yardley Liquid Matte Lip Vinyl Metallic and Original is available at selected Clicks, Dis-Chem, Edgar’s, Foschini, Pick n Pay & pharmacies nationwide at the exceptionally affordable price of R119.95 each.