A couple of months ago I started using the Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair 0.5% to help prepare my skin for the new Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair 1%. I have never used a Retinol treatment before so I was quite nervous not knowing what to expect and if my sensitive skin would handle it as I learnt that retinol can cause skin irritation and has other side effects but the results can be amazing which I was excited to see.
Today I’ll be telling you all about the Overnight Retinol Repair 0.5%, what it is, how it works and how it has worked for my skin.
What is Overnight Retinol Repair? The Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair is a nighttime retinol treatment cream which accelerates skin renewal and reduces the appearance of skin aging.
How does it work?
- Active 0.5% encapsulated pure Retinol helps increase collagen production and cell turnover.
- Powerful peptides and antioxidant vitamin C helps reduce uneven skin tone and discoloration.
- Formulated with a clinically-proven bioenergized Copper amino acid complex shown to reduce visible wrinkles and improve skin firmness.
- Ceramides and active Polysaccharides hydrate and prevent water loss in the skin, helping soften fine lines.
The Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair comes in a silver box and forms part of the Age Smart Range. The pack consists of a pointed tip 30ml tube of Overnight Retinol Repair (the retinol itself is light yellow in colour) and a 15ml non-pointed tube of Buffer Cream (which is white in colour). The Buffer Creams helps acclimate the skin to this highly-active form of Retinol.
How do you use the Overnight Retinol Repair? Firstly one needs to acclimate the skin to the Retinol treatment this is the Pre-Conditioning Phase once the skin has gotten use to the Retinol then we move on to the Ongoing Treatment.
Always apply the product onto cleansed skin at night when cell renewal is at its prime.
- Mix 1 part (one drop) Overnight Retinol Repair with 3 parts (3 drops) of the Buffer Cream. For more sensitive skin like mine it is best to apply the mixture in alternate nights which I started of doing for about a week.
- You may increase the ratio of the Overnight Retinol Repair to Buffer Cream as your skin adjusts. I increased the ratio after every week or two depending on my reaction to the treatment.
- If you run out of the Buffer Cream prior to your skin acclimating, you may substitute it with your prescribed Dermalogica Moisturiser. I found that I ran out of the Buffer Cream just as my skin had gotten use to the Retinol Repair.
- Once skin is acclimated, you may use the Overnight Retinol Repair alone, prior to or mixed with prescribed Dermalogica Moisturiser. Somedays I would use it before applying on my Dermalogica moisturiser or alone if my skin is not dry and does not need the extra moisture.
- Overnight Retinol Repair can be incorporated into any Dermalogica regimen. For best results use the Overnight Retinol Repair and other Dermalogica treatment products on alternate evenings.
- For the eye area use Dermalogica Age Reversal Eye Complex you can find out more about this amazing eye cream here. Don’t ever apply the Retinol treatment close to the eye and lip area.
The Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair is formulated without artificial fragrances, colours or parabens.
While I was on the Pre-Conditioning Phase my face felt extremely sensitive, it is recommended to use a sunscreen with a high SPF during the day when on the Overnight Retinol Repair treatment (you should always use a sunscreen even when not on the treatment). I religiously wear sunscreen on my face everyday but while on the treatment I found that I could actually feel the harshness of the sun on my face for the first couple of weeks as my skin felt tingly when exposed to the sun.
My skin also began to break out and peel around the mouth area, I also experienced extreme dryness. I was adviced to use a very rich moisturiser to help me through this phase.
The Pre-Conditioning phase often seemed discouraging as my skin looked worse than it was before starting the treatment but it is important to try and stick it out for a while as your skin tries to become accustomed to it, the results in the end are so worth it.
After a couple weeks of horrible looking and feeling skin, my skin became accustomed to the Retinol this is when my skin felt less sensitive, not so dry anymore and there were hardly any breakouts and I could start using the Retinol Repair on its own. This stage was easier as I started seeing results.
My skin now feels smoother, plumper, glowy, I have less breakouts and my skin is even toned as I had some pigmentation before going onto the treatment. Overall my skin looks and feels healthy I am absolutely loving the results. It honestly feels like a transformation from a caterpillar into a butterfly revealing beautiful healthy skin. I feel confident enough going out bare skin without applying on any foundation.
The pack lasted me for about 4-5 months as I only recently came off the Overnight Retinol Repair 0.5% treatment and have now started using the Overnight Retinol Repair 1% which I have had for months and being dying to try it out but first needed to acclimate my skin to it as it is a very strong treatment and can damage the skin if your skin is not accustomed to retinol. The Overnight Retinol Repair 0.5% is the perfect way to start introducing a retinol product into your skincare regimen.
Watch this space as I will be telling you all about the Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair 1% and how it is working for my skin 😉.