I love trying out different face masks to see what works best for my skin and current skin concerns. I always come across video’s where girls are in so much of pain pulling off face masks and can’t help myself but laugh at them 😐. I have always had a problem with blackheads around my nose some times chin and forehead which can be very annoying and no matter how often I use an exfoliator I can’t seem to get rid of them unless I go for a facial and have them extracted which can sometimes be a bit pricey. So when Rubybox sent me the new Pilaten Blackhead Remover Mask I was excited to try it out and had high hopes for this product.
The Pilaten Blackhead Remover Mask removes blackheads and impurities but before applying it the face needs to be prepped by opening up the pores so that the mask can work effectively.
Below are the steps to first prep the face by opening up the pore and affected areas:
- Firstly wash the areas that you will be applying the mask on like the nose, head and chin or entire face with a cleanser.
- Steam the face by applying a hot or wet cloth over the areas that need to be treated and leave the cloth there for 10 minutes. You can microwave a wet cloth for 15-30 seconds or wet/soak it with very hot or boiling water but be careful, first wait for it to cool down a bit so that you don’t burn your face.
- You could also boil water, pour it into a bowl and hold face over the bowl with a towel over your head so that the steam does not escape. I prefer doing this as I feel it opens up my pores a lot better and it also helps with clearing up my sinuses which is a bonus 😉.
- Wait for the steam to reach a bearable temperature before steaming your face as you don’t want to burn.
- Once you have steamed your face for a couple of minutes pat your face dry with a towel but don’t rub as this will only close the pores again.
Now that the pores are open apply the mask in a medium layer make sure it is heavy on the edge so that it’s easy to get a grip on to peel it off. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes, I left mine on for 20 minutes so that it was completely dry. Then peel away blackheads and all impurities.
Firstly I found that the mask was very messy to apply on, it kept dripping all over the place. With any peel off mask, once the mask starts drying it becomes difficult to move the face as its tight. Secondly the mask was painful to remove it removed facial hair more than blackheads. My eyes were all teary trying to remove the mask and I felt like it was karma for laughing at all those girls in those videos 😕.
However my skin felt smoother and cleaner after removing the mask. I liked that the mask came out whole and not in pieces even though there were little pieces that I had to peel off afterwards but it wasn’t much. I found that the mask didn’t really do what it was meant to do and that is to remove blackheads but rather it removed my facial hair you can see by the pictures below.
I was not impressed with the results or lack thereof and honestly don’t think I will be purchasing this product. You can also read my short review on Rubybox here and other Rubies experiences with the product.
Have you tried this mask before? If so did it work for you?